20 Ways to Fight Stress and Depression
Living here on earth is never easy. Life is mysterious and most often than not complicated. Most if not all are stress out and into a distressing situation. We are all prone to get stress even in little things and get depress due to worldly pressures. The following are some helpful tips to fight stress and depression. May these simple tips will lessen your burdens in life.
1. Take time to pray earnestly. Talk to God and offer all your needs and concerns in life. He is willing to listen to a contrite and humble heart. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God” (Philippians 4:6).
2. Write down your thoughts to express your affection. Writing down your feelings for a moment is very helpful to release unlikely emotions deep within. Anne Frank once said, ”I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.”
3. Know your mission in life. God has given us talents and abilities for us to share. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28). Knowing your purpose is the best way towards a contented and stress- free living.
4. Read the Bible. God’s Word is like a refreshing fountain that brings healing to a downcast and ailing soul. “The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple” (Psalm 119:130).
5. Be always grateful to God. Count your blessings. Stop comparing yourself with others because you are uniquely created. A grateful heart is not easily stressed and depressed.
6. Take a stroll in a refreshing place. Frequent walking is one of the best remedies for stress. Your body will regain strength and vigor and it will function more effectively.
7. Have time for kids. They are innocent and lovable. Their smiles are contagious. They’re easily amazed even on little things around them. Listen to their stories and banters and you will discover a child in you. “And He said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3).
8. Do your routine one day at a time. Schedule your activities. To avoid cramming, learn to write down your daily activities and put time frames and then follow it as scheduled.
9. Visit your Grandparents and other relatives. Taking a break from your busy schedules and visiting some relatives especially your Grandparents is very rewarding. Knowing your roots will give you a feeling of belongingness.
10. Have enough sleep. Sleeping 7 or 8 hours each night is very essential to boost your body’s immune system. Thomas Dekker said, “Sleep is that golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.” Lack of sleep may lead to stressful feelings and depression.
11. Watch some enriching and witty shows. Watching inspiring and humorous shows are very helpful to wipe away stress and fight depression. “Humor can alter any situation and help us cope at the very instant we are laughing,” Allen Klein quipped.
12. Visit and share your resources to charitable institutions. Giving is the joy of living. Spread your light and shine brightly for others. Those who are generous are not easily stressed out. Mother Teresa boldly said, “Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.”
13. Listen to a healing music. It helps our brain to relax and relieve from any anxiety and pain.” Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life, Auerbach quipped.”
14. Talk to a trusted friend. Have some prescriptions to heartaches by sharing your problems to a confidant. There’s a need to share your problem to someone who is willing to listen and understand your situation.
15. Always wear a smile even in hard times. Smile is very uplifting. Just offer a smile to someone you meet. And it will surely lessen your burdens in life. Mother Teresa said it well: “We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do.”
16. Avoid arguments and resentments. You must control your feelings to avoid conflicts with other people. Do not refresh past conflicts; learn to forgive those who have wronged you. Forgiving your enemies is a better way to move on towards a joyful living. Confucius said, “When anger rises, think of the consequences.”
17. Do some backyard gardening. Having a garden of enchanting flowers and lush greens is a refreshing and exciting hobby. It will surely relieve stress and anxiety.
18. Take a deep lungful of air. Breathing fresh air is essential for our lungs to take in more oxygen for our body to function well.
19. Live simply. Only those who are simple will find joy even in little things that life has to offer. Confucius boldly said,” Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” Try to discern heavenly treasures rather than material things that somehow will lead you to destruction.
20. Break the worry habits in your life. Worrying affects your health condition and may lead to various diseases. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest “(Galatians 6:9). Entrusts every burden and concern to the Lord; conceding is the best way to a peaceful and healthy living. Remember in whatever situation you are now, God is still in control so worry no more!
LET THE CANDLE GLOW AND JUST TAKE LIFE EASY, BECAUSE WE ARE NOT HOME YET!